Thursday, December 11, 2008

busy week

Hmm, where to start?

After my long weekend at work, I had been planning to visit mom and dad on Monday and see the damage of the fire for myself. Unfortunately we got a ton of snow and the roads were nasty so we stayed home. Finally, on Tuesday Derek and I were able to go home. The pictures on the news and in the paper did not do it justice. Wow is all I can say. Dad was super busy running errands that day and said another day would be better, but since I was going to be in town meeting with our wedding photographer anyway, I had to at least stop and see the damage. Dad was outside blowing snow and came to my car as soon as we pulled into the driveway. I immediately gave him a huge hug and he shed a few tears and then reassured me that everything was going to be okay and we'd get through this. I was so happy to see him in positive spirits. I didnt know what to expect when I saw him, but I guess he had had plenty of time to think about everything so it was finally time to move forward. I love my dad so much, and I've only seen him cry twice in my life, so it was hard to see tears, but he told me he was happy we came over. Its so great that Derek has an interest in some of the same stuff as my dad, so they had a lot to talk about. And Derek really wants to help build the new shop when the time comes, since he used to work in construction and loves that kind of stuff.

Dad went on to fill me in on all of the insurance stuff and seemed very happy and surprised by the amount of money he should be getting back. It sucks that its going to take weeks before he gets the answers he needs, but he has a positive attitude about the whole thing, which makes me feel a lot better about it. Its hard to really understand the damage until you see it for yourself. But more than anything, I wanted to be there for my dad, since I'm one of the few people that hadnt had a chance to stop over since it had happened. As we were leaving, Troy, one of his good friends, stopped over and gave him a hug. I'm so happy everyone has been so supportive of dad. :)

My work schedule is crazy this week, so I havent had time to study for my final yet, which is TONIGHT. Yikes. I worked a day shift yesterday after working overnight last weekend, and I was so exhausted that I came home and took a nap after work, and meant to only sleep for an hour so I could get stuff done, and ended up sleeping until this morning!!! Holy crap! Of course Derek took a nap with me and he turned the alarm off, so we both got like 14 hours of sleep! I didnt think that was possible! So now I'm hoping to get a lot of studying done today. My work Christmas party is tonight too, I'll miss the food, but I might get there just in time for drinks and karaoke. Then I'm back to a night shift on Friday. Not sure how I managed to get scheduled 2 different shifts over 3 days, but I guess I should be used to craziness by now!

I should go get some studying done I suppose...wish me luck! ;)

2 comments:

Katie said...

good luck on your final!!

Michelle said...

Hope your final went well! You are one busy girl!