Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Exhausted.

Wow, I realized this week just how busy my job can be! I decided to pick up 16 hours extra this payperiod, and holy crap I'm already exhausted! As a nurse, I usually dont work 5 days in a row because its way too exhausting...and burn out is huge with nurses. Last week we were all bummed that we werent very busy at work, and today was the exact opposite! We are pretty much to the point that we are pushing patients out the door faster because they have so many surgeries scheduled and not enough rooms to put them in! That makes for a very busy and stressful day. We went from having too many nurses scheduled, to having so many patients there arent enough nurses. After my last few day shifts, I am definitely looking forward to having a couple days off, and switching to night shifts this weekend. Its still going to be super busy, but its a different kind of busy...and hopefully more tolerable!!

I started class this week too, which didnt help my stress level. Classes started last night...so after working all day, I had to sit in class for 4 hours and didnt get home until 10pm. YUCK. Plus, the weather was horrible and the roads were bad, so half of our class wasnt there anyway. I was really hoping it would be cancelled since RCTC closed early and almost everything else in town was called off. But they had to make their decision by 2:30, and at that time, it had stopped snowing for a short period of time. It looks like I'm going to have 2 papers due every week until March...which does not sound fun. And Im supposed to go to Minneapolis for class on Thursday to do some community nursing for those who are homeless, or dont have the money or insurance to get the health care they need. I'm looking forward to the experience, but I'm praying that the weather is okay by then because I have to be there all day and then hurry home for 4 hours of class again that night. I'm not a fan of winter driving...so hopefully it will be fine! Even my days off are filled with trips for school! I guess I need to plan on not having a life again until the end of March! Woo hoo.... I'm very optimistic, cant you tell!? :)

2 comments:

Katie said...

sounds busy! I can't believe you had class last night! Jay was supposed to, but it was cancelled, so that was nice. It was way too cold and icky outside! Good luck with your class!

Andrea said...

I remember when my life was filled with work and school and random activities.......seems like so long ago! I hope things calm down for you...though it doesn't sound like that will happen anytime soon!

That's awesome about the community nursing! =-)