Thursday, January 15, 2009

Holy crap is COLD!

I cant believe how cold it is today!! -35 below zero wind chills?! YIKES. Of course, on the coldest day we've had in years, I have a busy day of traveling planned. Luckily my instructor didnt make me go to Minneapolis for my community nursing experience. So now I just have to reschedule and hope another day will work in my busy schedule. Even though all area schools, including Rochester, were closed today...guess who still had class tonight?! Rochester never closes, so I was expecting Augsburg to close too, but what was I thinking?! They just dont want the kids waiting for buses or walking home in this horrible weather...no one cares about the adults getting frostbite walking to our cars at 10pm! Oh well, its the first day of this class, so I suppose its important that we dont miss it. I've been home for a while now and my hands still feel like ice. And yes, I wore the thickest mittens I could find. This weather sucks. I cant wait for 70 degree weather! Actually, at this point, even 20 degree weather would be GREAT! Funny how I complain about it every year, and yet I still live here... I wonder if I could convince my entire family to move south?! haha!

After the first week of class, I'm quite overwhelmed. I think I feel this way every semester, and I knew getting into this that I was going to be crazy busy, but now it has really hit me. Last trimester I took an elective..Art History.. and it was really boring, but now I'm wishing I could go back and take that class instead of the two I'm in! Papers, papers, papers...and presentations, presentations, presentations! I hate public speaking...always have. Some people think I talk a lot, which actually really annoys me. But thats a completely different topic. I get really nervous when I have to talk for 20-30 minutes in front of a class of complete strangers. Even if I know a lot about the topic, I find myself rambling on and trying to rush myself to get through it. Hopefully this class will go well. It seems like it's going to be A LOT of work.

On a positive note, I made some progress in the wedding planning today, and we have decided on our honeymoon destination! We decided a cruise was the way to go..after spending months looking into a lot of different options. A Caribbean cruise! I'm so excited. I just found out that one of my friends went on the exact same cruise last week, and had a blast! At first I wasnt sure about it, since I wanted to spend a lot of time on the beach, maybe swim with the dolphins, scuba dive, etc.. and I wasnt sure we'd spend enough time off the boat to do these things, but it turns out I was wrong! And they have A LOT of fun stuff on the boat too. And all meals and activities are covered. I'm soo excited! I really havent gotten to travel much, and I've never been on a cruise, so I'm looking forward to it! Plus, its in our budget, which is the most important thing. We are bummed that we cant afford Hawaii right now, but Derek is sure we'll be able to do that for our 1 year anniversary! Or hopefully before we have kids! We'll see! :) Thats another one of our dreams to add to the list! hehe.

3 comments:

Katie said...

wow, a cruise sounds like fun! Will you go right away after the wedding?
I didn't know you were taking 2 classes this semester! Fun times ;)

Jenny said...

I hear ya - I am SO ready for spring! Dave & I went on a Caribbean cruise for our honeymoon - it was a lot of fun, and we hope to go on another cruise someday. Good luck with school!

Jenna said...

Yeah, we leave the Monday after the wedding!! They have limited days that they actually run, so we lucked out that one started on the 18th! :) Katie, I'm sure you're jealous that you're not still in school huh?! haha. Hopefully I'll be done next June, so I have to keep reminding myself that!